Saturday 28 September 2013

Bowland Fell Runners–The North Wales Contingent (Not Yiannas or Declan)

Whilst living in north wales over the last year I have been completing several races, sporting the Bowland Vest. This blog entry acts as a rough guide to what I’ve been up to.

I started off my year here in September based out of Dinorwic, next to the slate quarries at Llanberis. My first race being one I had completed the years before and as a champs race it was a busy one.

Moel Wnion (A race to blow off the summer cobwebs (busy summer job, not much training))

image

The fell running bug had struck and the following weekend saw the completion of half of the Pedol Peris or the Llanberis Horseshoe. I thought about doing the full 17mile round but went for the 8.5miles instead, just to stretch the legs.

imageNotice the jammy sibling, whom i recently got into fell running, went a beat me.

 

image

The first height gain onto Elidir Fawr winds up through the deserted slate quarries.

 

 

 

clip_image002After the initial hit of fell running in North wales I got out training and using the rapidly shortening days I kept it up for a bit. Before I knew it was getting dark quite early and it was time to get the head torch and road shoes out for a spot of Street league orienteering with Eryri Orienteers.

Following the surprise of winning the first race I thought I may as-well have ago at some of the others.

After mentioning my involvement with South Ribble’s street league I got roped into organising the Llanberis event.

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ok, back to fell running.

A busy winter at work meant I wasn’t getting any races done until Eryri’s Tuesday night series kicked off in April. A full series of ten races are open to all with competitors having to complete 4 to get a series score. Due to the lack of winter running I started off with a result not to shout off the roof about.

The races following the format of (get in as much height as possible within the shortest time and before the sun goes down) are quite addictive and I seem to be getting better at them.

imageFoel Lus

imagePen Dinas

imageAbergwyngregyn

imageGreat Orme

imagePenmaenmawr (3 Hills)

Here are several Photos of me sporting that Bowland Vest.

image

Penmaenmawr (3 Hills)

image

                      image                         image         Moel Eilio                                         Moel Eilio

imageimage   Penmaenmawr- 3 Hills

                                 

                              Pen Dinas (Climb)

image

 

Pen Dinas (Descent) Much more enjoyable.

 

 

 

Unfortunately I have left Wales now and am currently living in Europe for the next year. But I do intend on racing over here so it won’t be the last you see of the vest.

No comments:

Post a Comment